Womble toy catches fire in Harrogate
An Orinoco Womble toy was involved in a small house fire in Harrogate on Sunday, 19 April. North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service reported the news on its website:
Orinoco Womble Toy Destroyed In Fire - Harrogate
At 2038 hours the Fire Service were called to a smell of burning in the loft of a maisonette property on Grantley Drive in Harrogate. Fire engines from Harrogate and Knaresborough Fire Station attended.
Upon arrival crews found an Orinoco Womble toy on fire which had been too near to a downlighter in the loft. Crews removed the toy to the open air and extinguished the fire using a dry powder extinguisher.
The fire caused 100% fire damage to the toy and approximately 5% fire damage to the wiring. There were smoke alarms fitted in the property but didn’t actuate due to the siting of them in the property.
Initially it was unclear whether this report was a hoax, particularly next to another report that afternoon about ducklings rescued from a drain. However, the story was soon picked up by the local media, and even made it on to the Daily Mirror’s website.
- York Press: Womble destroyed in fire
- Minster FM: Ducklings down a drain and a Womble on fire!
- Harrogate Advertiser: Wimbledon Womble destroyed in uncommon Harrogate fire
- The Northern Echo: North Yorkshire fire crews called to blaze started by Womble
- Harrogate Informer: Womble destroyed in Harrogate fire
- Mirror Online: Wimbledon Womble destroyed in house blaze after ‘catching fire in loft’
Our thoughts are with Orinoco’s human family, and we’re glad that the fire was detected and extinguished quickly. Remember to test your smoke alarms regularly.
Orinoco Womble Toy Destroyed In Fire - Harrogate http://t.co/v4sDwuh8nF— Harrogate Newsdesk (@NewsdeskHG) April 19, 2015
Another tragic loss to the Womble community, another tragic local paper headline:http://t.co/TjJue7oktg— Chris Hall (@chris_h_81) April 20, 2015
Wimbledon Womble destroyed in uncommon Harrogate fire http://t.co/3jq7H0eEbj— Harrogate Newsdesk (@NewsdeskHG) April 20, 2015
NEWS: A Womble toy has been destroyed in a loft fire in #Harrogate. The fire service says Orinoco suffered "100% damage".— BBC Radio York (@BBCYork) April 20, 2015
Upsetting news coming in from Harrogate http://t.co/IqQQO2gUri— Nick Edmondson (@nickedmo) April 20, 2015
North Yorkshire fire crews called to blaze started by Womble http://t.co/3lJ0ONxXCG— The Northern Echo (@TheNorthernEcho) April 20, 2015
I wish I could say no Wombles were harmed in the making of this story. And where's the Womble in happier times pic? http://t.co/qJIAepf5HN— Stephanie Smith 💙 (@YorkshireStyleQ) April 20, 2015
#Headlinechallenge: Fire crews deal with blaze started by Orinoco, the Womble. ...ORI-SMOKE-O (with thanks to @RecognitionPaul)— petebarronmedia (@PeteBarronMedia) April 20, 2015
North Yorkshire fire crews called to blaze started by Womble http://t.co/fQihCFviNV— Darlington & Stockton Times (@DandSTimes) April 20, 2015
Shocked. Northern Echo- accusation of arson now.— Jo H (@JoHYork) April 20, 2015
RT: FIRE STARTER: Orinoco Womble
Blaze started by Womble http://t.co/BOtF1oeZTc